Skip to main content

Indian Politics and Tribal Elections

Today the Rosebud Sioux Tribe is holding the Primary Elections of a new kind of election.  In the past, elections were held every two years, for every candidate inclusive of the Tribal President, Tribal Council Members, and other offices.  Each community used to be allocated members like in the US House of Representatives; where the largest communities had the largest representation of the vote in the House.  Now, there is only one candidate per Tribal community that forms the Tribal Council.  And now, the elections of community representatives are staggered.  Two of the biggest changes are: 1) each newly elected representative is a member of Tribal Council for THREE (no longer two) years; 2) eligible voters in all communities vote for candidates in all communities.  The final change here is what I found most outstanding in the new RST Tribal Election 2011.

My thoughts are first; it is advisable for Tribal members, before voting, to talk with an elder who has worked their entire lives on the Rosebud.  They know the candidates and can tell you about each candidate.  They know the integrity of each person running, if they know of them.  Secondly, I agree with the staggering of the election terms and that each community has equal representation.  A very forward-thinking step is the allowance of all eligible Tribal voters being able to vote for all candidates reservation-wide.

However, my fears as a younger member of the adult population on my reservation, lies within the systemic problems that our reservation faces concerning our leadership.  We have set a few good feet forward, but with unsolved murders and crimes on our reservation rampant, as well as other social ills that see no rest, I worry greatly for my future great-grandchildren's grandchildren.

Who we elect today, discerns our tomorrow, and determines what kind of future as indigenous people we have.


Top Blogs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism - a Native American Lakota Perspective

On Jan. 5th, 2009, my middle daughter (J.M.) was diagnosed with autism. "Classic Autism." The words still ring in mid-air. She was diagnosed at 2 yrs. 6 mos. As young as you can be, really, to get a true diagnosis (so I read). Recently I was asked, "How did you know?" It was a lot of different behaviors, combined with her not talking by 2 yrs to lead me to start researching. I looked and searched for countless hours... putting square pegs into round holes in my mind. I wanted something to show me, tell me, anything to point me toward NO! She DOES NOT have autism. But that answer never came. It was a long process, and is still in the works. But we are growing stronger. I think of her prognosis from when she was 10 weeks gestation. She tested positive for the blood test labeled quad screen. Which, along with a second-level sonogram, tested her positive for downsyndrome. Longer story than this, but we wanted her and she was born. She was always hard to tak

#NoDAPL Stop the Dakota Access Pipeline

#NoDAPL  #NoDakotaAccess #Stand4StandingRock Stand for Standing Rock By Lynne Colombe Mitakuyapi, le miye ZiZiWin.  Hello my relatives, I am Yellow Woman.  I have never used that name, "Yellow Woman," in writing.  It was a name that my great-grandmother, Carrie Roubideaux-Bordeaux, gave to me because I did not have "an Indian name."  She gave me her name because I am an identical twin; and I was born jaundiced.  And, because that was her name, so she gave it to me. There was no ceremony, no feather placed in my hair, no kiss upon my forehead.  My great-grandmother and great-grandfather on my mother's side were the only grandparents on that side I would ever really know.  My maternal grandmother passed away when my mother was only 15 years old; and my material grandfather lived out of state and had a different family. I think of my childhood as "peculiar" in many ways.  First, because I am 1/2 White and live on an Indian Reservation; and

Feedback on Native Filmmaking

Native Film Making - Documentarian Thoughts and Declaration of Descendants of the Star People: Lakota Voices, Values and Virtues INTRODUCTION Jack London went into the wild; Mowat hunted like the People of the Deer; Leslie Marmon Silko went to the edge of the world; Hemingway went out to sea; Achebe journeyed into the past of his ancestors; and I have ventured into the belly of... "the Rez." Every artist that I admire has gone through mighty transformations. Each writer whose work that I value most communicated their views of their fellow man, the degradation or advancement of society around them, the translation of their cultural values and the survival of the human spirit. While watching commercials that promote Latin American Culture and "National Hispanic Heritage Month," I enviously embrace the film projects and products that have amplified the voices of many persons of Latin Heritage. As a Lakota Sioux, or Sicangu, I often work in solitary form - much like San